Mayfair – It was a long time that I wanted to go to Benares, as it received its Michelin star since 2007. So, I was looking forward to go to this modern Indian restaurant, and after visiting it I admit that it was beyond my expectations!
At Benares food is amazing, a real experience that has to be done. Flavours are rich and intense as usual in the Indian cuisine, but delicate at the same time. You can savor the multiple spices like never before.
Chef patron is Atul Kochhar who is the first Indian chef to receive a Michelin star, before that Benares restaurant received its own one.
The location is elegant, refined and before entering in the dining room there is a lounge area where you can drink creative seasonal cocktails made with an Indian touch, for example using passion fruit chutney, coriander & cumin syrup, Indian whiskies.
Regarding food, as I said above, all was incredible, but I would like to give a special remark to the crispy soft shell crab and to the lamb, in all its styles.
Anyway, I know sometimes is difficult to choose courses in this kind of restaurant, especially if you are new to the Indian cuisine, so I’ll write here what I selected and tried:
- Karara Kekda – Crispy Soft Shell Crab, Chickpeas with Curry Leaf and Coconut, Tamarind Dressing
- Tandoori Ratan (in the cover picture) – Chargrilled Sea Bass, Chicken Tikka, Ajwaini King Prawn, Lamb Seekh Kebab
- Changezi Chaapein – Smoked Tandoori Lamb Cutlets, Sautéed Winter Vegetables, Rogan Jus
- Palak Paneer – Spinach Purée with Paneer
- Chicken Tikka Masala (it’s not on the menu, but you can ask for it if you want this traditional dish).
12a, Berkeley Square, Mayfair, London W1J 6BS
Tel. +44 (0)20 7629 8886
Monday-Friday 12:00 – 14:30 | 17:30 – 22:45
Saturday 12:00 – 15:00 | 17:30 – 22:45
Sunday 18:00 – 21:45